Re: Horizontal scalability/sharding - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mason S
Subject Re: Horizontal scalability/sharding
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 3:08 PM, Alexander Korotkov <a.korotkov@postgrespro.ru> wrote:
On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 9:48 PM, Mason S <masonlists@gmail.com> wrote:

 We also a bit disappointed by Huawei position about CSN patch, we hoped to use for  our XTM.

Disappointed in what way? Moving to some sort of CSN approach seems to open things up for different future ideas. In the short term, it would mean replacing potentially large snapshots and longer visibility checks. In the long term, perhaps CSN could help simplify the design of multi-master replication schemes.

We are disappointed because at PGCon talk Huawei announced publishing of their CSN patch and further work in this direction together with community. However, it's even not published yet despite all the promises. Nobody from Huawei answers CSN thread in the hackers.
So, I think we got nothing from Huawei except teasing and should rely only on ourselves. That is disappointing.

Oh, I see. I was in contact with some of the folks involved a few weeks ago.  The intention is to do a bit more work on the patch and then post it. This should be happening "soon".

Thanks,

Mason