Re: A 154 GB table swelled to 527 GB on the Slony slave. How to compact it? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Aleksey Tsalolikhin
Subject Re: A 154 GB table swelled to 527 GB on the Slony slave. How to compact it?
Date
List pgsql-general
Dear Scott,

  When I pg_dump -t bigtablename on the Slony slave, the dump file is
212G in size.

  I am unable to perform the same test on the master until I get a
maintenance window, which may not be for a few weeks, as it does
impact our production system when we dump from the master (the web app
gets noticeably slower).

  I compare this 212 GB size (logical size) with the 550 GB reported
size (physical size on disk), which corresponds to / aligns with "du
-sh" output, 550 GB.

  I remember now I had a similar issue about a year and a half or so,
when we had a jump in database size, also with replication involved,
and one site became bigger than the other.  I talked to Bruce M. about
it at some conference and he suggested looking at his site, where he
has explanation of how Postgres stores data, low-level, like structure
of a page and so on.  Unfortunately I was unable to carve out the time
to drill into it then, just continued running with the larger database
size...  so now this issue is coming back to haunt me, even bigger
now.

  The size had doubled earlier, and now it has nearly tripled.

  I'm afraid the easiest (quickest) solution will be for me to destroy
the RAID 1E array and rebuild it as a RAID 5 array, which would give
me a bigger filesystem, buying me time to study up on what Bruce
suggested, or else to hire a professional Postgres consultant (if
$WORK ever coughs up the money).

  Our resident Oracle DBA expert (since we don't have a Postgres one)
suggested I try truncating the table on the slave (with replication
down) and then restoring it from this pg_dump, just to see if the size
of the new table will be 200 GB or 500 GB.  If 200, we're home free;
if 500, we need to continue to investigate.

  In the meantime, I owe you the size of the bigtable from
production...   if anybody has any other suggestions, I am all ears.

Yours very truly,
Aleksey