Re: BUG #18196: Databases Created in Turkish Language Will Not Run on the Latest Version of Windows - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Thomas Munro
Subject Re: BUG #18196: Databases Created in Turkish Language Will Not Run on the Latest Version of Windows
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Thu, Nov 16, 2023 at 9:00 AM Halil Han Badem <halilhanbadem@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, we're paying the price for Microsoft's mistake. It's really unacceptable.

I am certainly no Windows apologist, but I think on this one, it feels
like PostgreSQL is at least partially in the wrong here.  Windows
documentation tells everyone that these names might change in every OS
update, and that we shouldn't store them anywhere, and what to do
instead ("tr-TR").  This has happened again and again over the past
decades and win32locale.c is full of bizarro hacks to deal with it.
If something good can come of this round of
"WTF-how-could-they-do-this-to-us", I hope it can be some more
eyeballs on the thread that I posted to fix this problem (see link in
my earlier message).

(Full disclosure: I work for Azure Data, a branch of Microsoft, but I
have nothing to do with the Windows operating system and don't use it,
I'm employed to work on open source stuff.  I'm speaking with my
PostgreSQL hacker hat on, here.)