Re: slapd logs to syslog during tests - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Munro
Subject Re: slapd logs to syslog during tests
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Mar 17, 2023 at 9:15 AM Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
> On 2023-03-11 Sa 18:37, Andres Freund wrote:
> On my buildfarm host (for all my animals) I noted that slapd was by far the
> biggest contributor to syslog. Even though there's not normally slapd
> running. It's of course the slapds started by various tests.
>
> Would anybody mind if I add 'logfile_only' to slapd's config in LdapServer.pm?
> That still leaves a few logline, from before the config file parsing, but it's
> a lot better than all requests getting logged.
>
> Obviously I also could reconfigure syslog to just filter this stuff, but it
> seems that the tests shouldn't spam like that.
>

> Hi, Andres,
>
> are you moving ahead with this?

+1 for doing so.  It has befuddled me before that I had to hunt down
error messages by tracing system calls[1], and that's useless for
readers of CI/BF logs.

[1]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CA%2BhUKGJdwNiwM5iWXVh050kKw5p3VCMJyoFyCpPbEf6ZNOC1pw%40mail.gmail.com#efe8bb4695171288e4e600391df3f9fa