Re: Collation version tracking for macOS - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Munro
Subject Re: Collation version tracking for macOS
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Nov 30, 2022 at 7:03 AM Jeremy Schneider
<schneider@ardentperf.com> wrote:
> It seems to me that the collator_version field is not a good version
> identifier to use.
>
> Just taking a quick glance at the ICU home page right now, it shows that
> all of the last 5 versions of ICU have included "additions and
> corrections" to locale data itself, including 68 to 69 where the
> collator version did not change.
>
> Is it possible that this "collator_version" only reflects the code that
> processes collation data to do comparisons/sorts, but it does not
> reflect updates to the locale data itself?

I think it also includes the CLDR version for *some* locales.  From a
quick look, that includes 'ar', 'ru', 'tr', 'zh'.  Jeff, would you
mind sharing the same table for one of those?  Perhaps 'en' really
does depend only on the UCA?