Re: Joe Hellerstein's "Looking Back at Postgres" paper - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Thomas Munro
Subject Re: Joe Hellerstein's "Looking Back at Postgres" paper
Date
List pgsql-docs
On Thu, Jul 4, 2024 at 5:40 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> I happened to come across this:
>
> https://arxiv.org/pdf/1901.01973
>
> I found this to be really interesting reading,

Just by the way, for anyone interested, that paper appeared as a
chapter in a book "The Pragmatic Wisdom of Michael Stonebraker".  It
is expensive but a very enjoyable read.  I doubt many other chapters
from it are obvious candidates for a pointer from our docs like that
one, except a couple of the old papers that we reference already.
Another one that I especially enjoyed was Mike Olson's description of
how Ingres, and Postgres not long behind it, were the first completely
open source software, because through a series of coincidences they
finished up publishing everything under an early not-yet-finalised BSD
license before BSD itself.  (BSD still required an AT&T licence for
some bits until they were removed so it wasn't 100% open source until
they fixed that, I think )

As for Joe Hellerstein's paper, personally I am still chewing on the
many ramifications of the stuff pointed to by one paragraph of
Hellerstein's paper, that I rambled about here, gulp, 5 years ago:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CA%2BhUKGL-Fo9mZyFK1tdmzFng2puRBrgROsCiB1%3Dn7wP79mTZ%2Bg%40mail.gmail.com