Turn dead tuples into temporal data? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Jean Baro
Subject Turn dead tuples into temporal data?
Date
List pgsql-novice
Hello there,

I am not a databse engineer but I always loved the beauty and sophistication of RDBMSes.

I love PostgreSQL and its community and I have also followed Datomic (BI temporal database) since its beginning.

Would it be possible,(within 1 or 2 releases of PostgreSQL), without having to change many of other things that PostgreSQL already does pretty well, to use the DEAD tuples as historical information for native BI-temporal capability in PostgreSQL?

The main idea (without me knowing much about the internals of PostgreSQL) is to keep the dead tuples as a mean to answer BITemporal queries...

If small changes can be done (maybe an ON/OFF Toggle) to enable this behavior per table, it might even free the BITemporal enabled table from needing Vaccum, at the expense of consuming MUCH more storage.

Specially for financial application BITemporality is an important feature, and if that is "native" to a DB like PostgreSQL it would put PG ahead of the game.

Sorry for the "dream" question here, I just want someone experienced to explain to me why this is a terrible ideal in PostgreSQL.. só that I can learn more!

Thanks.