Re: bug: evil autoConcat when each string is on new line - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Francisco Olarte
Subject Re: bug: evil autoConcat when each string is on new line
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Pavel:

On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 11:43 AM Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
>> SQL std is really puzzling and irregular. ....
.....Rest of rant snipped.
> There is a impact of some older traditions. Originally SQL was a language for ending users, it was not designed for
developers.

Yes, I know where it comes from. It reminds me a lot of when I as
learning COBOL ( on punched cards). Seeing the evolution I think
people assumed that adding a little verbosity and words instead of
plain commas here and there would make it easier, but IMO it makes for
great presentation material but harder to use, both for end users and
for profesional developers. And it's not the only one, IE, I've always
thought that the format of HTTP headers is great for a casual reading
and/or presenting examples in RFCs, but needlesly difficult to parse
or generate, I group that with glossy screens, better for shop
display, worse for everyday use in my experience.

Regards.
    Francisco Olarte.