Re: Basic Question on Point In Time Recovery - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Francisco Olarte
Subject Re: Basic Question on Point In Time Recovery
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Robert:

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 12:52 PM, Robert Inder <robert@interactive.co.uk> wrote:
> On 11 March 2015 at 17:32, Francisco Olarte <folarte@peoplecall.com> wrote:
>> This is, build an streaming replication slave, pg_dump from the slave. If
>> needed, restore in the master.
> I really like the idea of running pg_dump on the slave, but I don't understand
> how I could do it.
> Or Is this something that has changed with Postgres 9?
> We're currently running Postgres 8.4.
> Is this my specific reason to embark on an upgrade?

It's been answered before, but yes, streaming replication is a (
someone may say THE ) 9.0 feature. My fault, I've been using it for so
long I forgot the past. If you are using log shipping I would
recommend some tests and considering an upgrade, I've found
replication is much simpler and easier with it.

Regards.
    Francisco Olarte.