Re: BUG #16860: Documentation: GUC Parameters are not explained - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Francisco Olarte
Subject Re: BUG #16860: Documentation: GUC Parameters are not explained
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Tom:

On Thu, Feb 11, 2021 at 6:18 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> PG Bug reporting form <noreply@postgresql.org> writes:
> > I am missing a explanation for the abbreviation "GUC" in:
> >      in
> > https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sepgsql.html#SEPGSQL-PARAMETERS
> >   and https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/pgtrgm.html#id-1.11.7.40.7
> It's defined in appendix L (Acronyms).  It would not be sensible to
> duplicate the definition at every usage.

I ( not the OP ) knew the meaning ( although I had forgotten the exact
words ), and managed to find it, but had to do a full search. IMO an
entry in the index could be useful for it, even if it is just an
acronym ( I went to the HTML manual, searched in the TOC, searched in
the first couple server configuration pages, searched in the index and
then resorted to full search and got the acronyms hit in the middle,
it seems a bit hidden for me ).

Francisco Olarte.