Re: question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Francisco Olarte
Subject Re: question
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Anj:

On Sat, Oct 17, 2015 at 3:11 AM, anj patnaik <patna73@gmail.com> wrote:
> My question is for Francisco who replied regarding xz. I was curious what
> options he used. Thanks.

1st, we do not normally top post on this list.

Second, I do not remember the exact options I use. I can look them up,
but they are going to be surely useless ( they are for a custom
process with does several things with files, it uses gzip ( in Fc
backups ), plus xz ( for some files which need to be kept for a long
time and are nearly never needed ), plus lzo ( as I found lzo
compressed temporary files were faster than uncompressed ones ), and a
lot of code. But in the development process we did a full comparison
of several compressor, and found what I stated with bzip2, it was
surpassed in every combination of options by xz ( plain bzip2, plain
xz ).

Francisco Olarte.