Re: Petition: Treat #!... shebangs as comments - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Francisco Olarte
Subject Re: Petition: Treat #!... shebangs as comments
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi John:

On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 10:41 PM, John McKown
<john.archie.mckown@gmail.com> wrote:

> FWIW - I like #! also. Even though it may cause the Windows users to
> want something equivalent. Assuming there are any Windows people who
> really use a command prompt.

I do not now, given the current trend of changing thing for the sake
of it leading to getting rid of lots of very useful features. But back
in the NT  3.51 era I was a heavy windows command prompt user. And
they have a feature which I consider superior to the irregular she
bang support in the unix world, the file type association which let
you associate an extension with an interpreter and which properly
parsed multiple arguments in the interpreter definition. I used it for
perl and awk, and even had a wrapper which let me execute a C file by
invoking it by name ( compiling it along the way ). You would still
have to overcome the problems with the weird quoting rules of every
command, but that is another tale.

Francisco Olarte.