Re: Autovacuum Problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Kein Name
Subject Re: Autovacuum Problem
Date
List pgsql-general
> Why would you want that? Do you have any control over the application? Any "special" patterns used in the app?

Drive is running full :/
Sadly I have no control and knowledge whatsoever over/about the application.

I tuned the autovacuum parameters now for the critical tables, to have it run more often and using greater ressources while doing so.... but I am unsure if this helps with the bloating.

On 03/04/2018 10:00, Kein Name wrote:
> VACUUM <> VACUUM FULL
> Normally running VACUUM via autovacuum should help reuse free space but not actually return it to the filesystem / OS (unless it happens to be the last blocks in the data file(s)).
> Ppl in normal/average type of installations/workloads no longer (since 8.2) run VACUUM (or VACUUM FULL) by hand, except in extra ordinary cases where e.g. need for free space is urgent.

Hmmmm then when is the space released to the system when the manual VACUUM FULL run is not done? Any way to "force" this?
Why would you want that? Do you have any control over the application? Any "special" patterns used in the app?

However no space seems to be freed to the system.

Is there any way a bloody newbie can debug this behaviour?

VACUUM <> VACUUM FULL
Normally running VACUUM via autovacuum should help reuse free space but not actually return it to the filesystem / OS (unless it happens to be the last blocks in the data file(s)).
Ppl in normal/average type of installations/workloads no longer (since 8.2) run VACUUM (or VACUUM FULL) by hand, except in extra ordinary cases where e.g. need for free space is urgent.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks
Stefan

--