Re: proposal: Set effective_cache_size to greater of .conf value, shared_buffers - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: proposal: Set effective_cache_size to greater of .conf value, shared_buffers
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 6 May 2014 15:18, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Lets fix e_c_s at 25% of shared_buffers and remove the parameter
>> completely, just as we do with so many other performance parameters.
>
> Apparently, you don't even understand what this parameter is for.
> Setting it smaller than shared_buffers is insane.

You know you can't justify that comment and so do I. What workload is
so badly affected as to justify use of the word insane in this
context?

I can read code. But it appears nobody apart from me actually does, or
at least understand the behaviour that results.