Re: WIP: Access method extendability - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: WIP: Access method extendability
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 28 October 2014 17:58, Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov@gmail.com> wrote:

> Also, I'm not sure that many users have enough of courage to use unlogged
> AMs. Absence of durability is only half of trouble, another half is lack of
> streaming replication. I think if we have unlogged GIN then external
> indexing engines would be used by majority of users instead of GIN.

Please answer the problem I have raised.

How will you act when the new AM that you write breaks?
How will you advise your users that the durability they sensibly
desire is actually causing them data loss?

I haven't opposed your ideas in this patch; I have only observed the
necessary surrounding infrastructure is incomplete.