Re: pgaudit - an auditing extension for PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: pgaudit - an auditing extension for PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 17 February 2015 at 15:52, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> * Simon Riggs (simon@2ndQuadrant.com) wrote:
>> I vote to include pgaudit in 9.5, albeit with any changes. In
>> particular, David may have some changes to recommend, but I haven't
>> seen a spec or a patch, just a new version of code (which isn't how we
>> do things...).
>
> Hrm.  I thought David's new patch actually looked quite good and it's
> certainly quite a bit different from the initial patch (which didn't
> seem like it was moving forward..).  Guess I'm confused how a new patch
> is different from a 'new version of code' and I didn't see a spec for
> either patch.  From the old thread, David had offered to submit a pull
> request if there was interest and I didn't see any response...

My comment was that the cycle of development is discuss then develop.

David's work is potentially useful, but having two versions of a
feature slows things down. Since he is new to development here, I have
made those comments so he understands, not so you would pick up on
that.

"didn't seem to be moving forwards" is strange comment. We usually
wait for patches to stabilise, not for them to keep changing as
evidence of worth.

David, please submit your work to pgsql-hackers as a patch on
Abhijit's last version. There is no need for a pull request to
2ndQuadrant. Thanks.

-- Simon Riggs                   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, RemoteDBA, Training &
Services