Re: Let's start talking features and "theme" for 9.4 - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Let's start talking features and "theme" for 9.4
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 6 May 2014 09:01, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas@vmware.com> wrote:

> GIN indexes are now 50% smaller and searches are much faster. They are now
> competitive with bitmap indexes on other DBMS's.
>
> (By competitive, I don't mean better :-). But good enough to be used for
> similar use cases)

I think you've done great work there, as well as others.

"competitive with bitmap indexes" needs a full technical analysis, so
definitely shouldn't form any part of marketing until we can see its
definitely true, for all important use cases.

If it is true or close enough, I'm more than happy to avoid further
work on bitmap indexes and ecstatic that we've got this important
functionality into PG in this release rather than next.  If it isn't
sufficiently true, the assertion will block the development of bitmaps
by undermining the concept, which won't help us. An assertion alone
doesn't help us decide...