Re: Two 9.1 Questions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Two 9.1 Questions
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 4:52 PM, Andrew Hannon <ahannon@fiksu.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Now that 9.1 has been released, I have two questions:
>
> 1. Can we upgrade a 9.0 hot standby (replicating from a 9.0 master) to a 9.1 standby while still replicating from the
9.0master? Are there any version differences that would cause a problem? We would then eventually promote the 9.1
machineto the master...

Not yet. That's a planned feature awaiting funding.

> 2. Is it possible to do something like the following:
>  A. Pause Replication on a hot standby (using the pause_at_recovery_target recovery target setting)
>  B. Call pg_dumpall on the slave
>  C. Resume replication (by disabling the  pause_at_recovery_target recovery target setting)
>
> During the pause, we would likely continue shipping WAL to the slave (unless this is unadvisable).
>
> Is this a reasonable approach?

It will work... please read about the functions for pause/resume.