Re: Record previous TLI in end-of-recovery record (was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Fast promote mode skips checkpoint at end of recovery.) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Record previous TLI in end-of-recovery record (was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Fast promote mode skips checkpoint at end of recovery.)
Date
In response to Record previous TLI in end-of-recovery record (was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Fast promote mode skips checkpoint at end of recovery.)  (Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas@vmware.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 7 February 2013 16:07, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas@vmware.com> wrote:

> It just occurred to me that it would be really nice if the end-of-recovery
> record, and the timeline-switching shutdown checkpoint record too for that
> matter, would include the previous timeline's ID that we forked from, in
> addition to the new TLI. Although it's not required for anything at the
> moment, it would be useful debugging information. It would allow
> reconstructing timeline history files from the WAL; that might come handy.
>
> Barring objections, I'll add that.

Good idea, please do.

That means a shutdown checkpoint becomes it's own record type.... but
my understanding of our other conversations was that you want to never
use shutdown checkpoints for end of recovery ever again, so that seems
unnecesary. Sorry to mix things up.