Re: documentation structure - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: documentation structure
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Mar 22, 2024 at 2:59 PM Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> I assume statistics collector views are in "Monitoring Database
> Activity" because that is their purpose.

Well, yes. :-)

But the point is that all other statistics views are in a single
section regardless of their purpose. We don't document pg_roles in the
"Database Roles" chapter, for example.

And on the flip side, pg_locks and pg_replication_origin_status are
also for monitoring database activity, but they're in the "System
Views" chapter anyway. The only system views that are in "Monitoring
Database Activity" rather than "System Views" are the ones where the
name starts with "pg_stat_".

So the reason you state is why these views are under "Monitoring
Database Activity" rather than a chapter chosen at random. But it
doesn't really explain why they're separate from the other system
views at all. That seems to be a pretty much random choice, AFAICT.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com