Re: [HACKERS] [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Improve pg_dump regression tests and code coverage - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: [HACKERS] [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Improve pg_dump regression tests and code coverage
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 8:33 AM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> * Robert Haas (robertmhaas@gmail.com) wrote:
>> So was this 3340 line patch posted or discussed anyplace before it got
>> committed?
>
> I've mentioned a few times that I'm working on improving pg_dump
> regression tests and code coverage, which is what these were.  I'm a bit
> surprised that it's, apparently, a surprise to anyone or that strictly
> adding regression tests in the existing framework deserves very much
> discussion.

I'm not saying it does.  I'm saying that it's polite, and expected, to
post patches and ask for opinions before committing things.

> What I think would be great would be some additional work on our code
> coverage, which is abysmal.  This, at least, gets us up over 80% for
> src/bin/pg_dump, but there's still quite a bit of work to be done there,
> as noted in the commit message, and lots of opportunity for improvement
> throughout the rest of the code base, as https://coverage.postgresql.org
> shows.

Sure, I think that would be great, too.  Following the community
process and improving code coverage are not opposing goals, such that
to support one is to oppose the other.  We need both things.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company