Re: 9.5 release notes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: 9.5 release notes
Date
Re: 9.5 release notes  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 10:24 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>> * 2014-10-02 [3acc10c9] Robert..: Increase the number of buffer mapping partition..
>>   should we mention this? This has been patched by a number of
>>   downstream vendors and users, so it's probably worth calling out?
>
> Uh, I am not sure why general users would care.

Because it significantly improves performance on workloads that don't
fit into shared_buffers and have concurrency.

>> * 2014-07-14 [91f03ba] Noah M..: MSVC: Recognize PGFILEDESC in contrib and conv..
>>   2015-04-16 [22d0053] Alvaro..: MSVC: install src/test/modules together with c..
>>   Don't seem to warrant a release note entry.
>
> User-visible changes.

It seems really strange to me to say that things which improve
performance or change query plans are somehow not user-visible, but
applying a file description to Windows binaries is user-visible.  I am
willing to bet you a beverage of your choice that a lot more people
are going to notice the performance improvements and planner changes
than will ever notice that stuff.

(I realize now that compiling the release notes must be a somewhat
thankless task, so let me just say that I do appreciate the work
you've put into this very much and the comments above shouldn't be
understood to take anything away from that.  The fact that we don't
agree on what the criteria ought to be does not mean that I don't
appreciate you doing the work.)

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company