Re: Add new protocol message to change GUCs for usage with future protocol-only GUCs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Add new protocol message to change GUCs for usage with future protocol-only GUCs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Aug 16, 2024 at 10:51 AM Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka@iki.fi> wrote:
> Now, I think we should still do it, but it might not warrant changing
> the default. Unfortunately that means that it will get very little
> adoption. It will only be adopted as a side-effect of some other changes
> that make people change the protocol_version setting. Or after a very
> long transition period.
>
> That said, I think we *should* change the default for the time being, so
> that developers working on the bleeding edge and building from git get
> some exposure to it. Hopefully that will nudge some of the poolers to
> adopt NegotiateProtocolVersion sooner. But we revert the default to 3.0
> before the v18 release.

I'm fine with changing the default for the time being. I'm not really
sure what I think about changing it back before release. Maybe six
months from now it will be clearer what the right thing to do is; or
maybe other people will be more certain of what The Right Thing To Do
is than I am myself; but there's no rush to finalize a decision right
this minute.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com