Re: 9.6 -> 10.0 - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: 9.6 -> 10.0
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 2:33 PM, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
> So really, it's BDR that's being argued as the reason for the big
> jump, but then, what percentage of users will that be a big thing for?

If I had to guess: a pretty big percentage, but it didn't get into 9.5
and it looks like it won't get into 9.6, either.  And I'm not sure we
can just say, hey, well, you know, we'll wait until it does.  We don't
know when or if that is going to happen.  I don't think we want to be
releasing 9.10 or 9.12.  Besides, when it does happen, that release
may not having anything else that exciting in it.  I wouldn't like to
dump on logical replication as a feature - it's a great feature, and
we should have it in core.  Maybe I should have worked harder to get
it committed this cycle, but:

1. I thought Andres or Alvaro or Simon would probably do that, and
2. I had a few other features I was busy with which are also pretty good.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company