Re: backup manifests - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: backup manifests
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 2:02 PM David Steele <david@pgmasters.net> wrote:
> > Except - and this gets back to the previous point - I don't want to
> > slow down backups by 40% by default. I wouldn't mind slowing them down
> > 3% by default, but 40% is too much overhead. I think we've gotta
> > either the overhead of using SHA way down or not use SHA by default.
>
> Maybe -- my take is that the measurements, an uncompressed backup to the
> local filesystem, are not a very realistic use case.

Well, compression is a feature we don't have yet, in core. So for
people who are only using core tools, an uncompressed backup is a very
realistic use case, because it's the only kind they can get. Granted
the situation is different if you are using pgbackrest.

I don't have enough experience to know how often people back up to
local filesystems vs. remote filesystems mounted locally vs. overtly
over-the-network. I sometimes get the impression that users choose
their backup tools and procedures with, as Tom would say, the aid of a
dart board, but that's probably the cynic in me talking. Or maybe a
reflection of the fact that I usually end up talking to the users for
whom things have gone really, really badly wrong, rather than the ones
for whom things went as planned.

> However, I'm still fine with leaving the user the option of checksums or
> no.  I just wanted to point out that CRCs have their limits so maybe
> that's not a great option unless it is properly caveated and perhaps not
> the default.

I think the default is the sticking point here. To me, it looks like
CRC is a better default than nothing at all because it should still
catch a high percentage of issues that would otherwise be missed, and
a better default than SHA because it's so cheap to compute. However,
I'm certainly willing to consider other theories.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company