Re: Freeze avoidance of very large table. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Freeze avoidance of very large table.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 12:36 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> I understand the desire for a diagnostic function in core, but we have
>> to be consistent.  Just because we are adding this function now doesn't
>> mean we should use different rules from what we did previously for
>> diagnostic functions.  Either their is logic to why this function is
>> different from the other diagnostic functions in contrib, or we need to
>> have a separate discussion of whether diagnostic functions belong in
>> contrib or core.
>
> Then let's start moving some extensions to src/extension/.

That seems like yet another separate issue.

FWIW, it seems to me that we've done a heck of a lot of moving stuff
out of contrib over the last few releases.  A bunch of things moved to
src/test/modules and a bunch of things went to src/bin.  We can move
more, of course, but this code reorganization has non-trivial costs
and I'm not clear what benefits we hope to realize and whether we are
in fact realizing those benefits.  At this point, the overwhelming
majority of what's in contrib is extensions; we're not far from being
able to put the whole thing in src/extensions if it really needs to be
moved at all.

But I don't think it's fair to conflate that with Bruce's question,
which it seems to me is both a fair question and a different one.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company