Re: macOS Ventura won't generate core dumps - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: macOS Ventura won't generate core dumps
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Apr 9, 2024 at 4:34 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Huh, that's odd.  One idea that comes to mind is that the core files
> are frickin' large, for me typically around 3.5GB-4GB even for a
> postmaster running with default shared memory sizes.  (I don't know
> why, although it seems to me they were less ridiculous a few years
> ago.)  Is it possible you're running out of space, or hitting a
> quota of some sort?

Just to close the loop here, it turns out that this was caused by some
EDB-installed software, not macOS itself. The software in question
wasn't expected to cause this to happen, but did anyway.

We also discovered that core dumps weren't *completely* disabled. They
still occurred for segmentation faults, but not for abort traps.

So, if anyone's having a similar problem, check with your IT
department or try with a fresh OS install before blaming Apple. :-)

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com