Re: gaussian distribution pgbench - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: gaussian distribution pgbench
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Mar 15, 2014 at 4:50 AM, Mitsumasa KONDO
<kondo.mitsumasa@gmail.com> wrote:
>> There are explanations and computations as comments in the code. If it is
>> about the documentation, I'm not sure that a very precise mathematical
>> definition will help a lot of people, and might rather hinder understanding,
>> so the doc focuses on an intuitive explanation instead.
>
> Yeah, I think that we had better to only explain necessary infomation for
> using this feature. If we add mathematical theory in docs, it will be too
> difficult for user.  And it's waste.

Well, if you *don't* include at least *some* mathematical description
of what the feature does in the documentation, then users who need to
understand it will have to read the source code to figure it out,
which is going to be even more difficult.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company