Re: Beta1 announcement: alpha1 draft - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Beta1 announcement: alpha1 draft
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 10:37 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> On 04/26/2016 07:21 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
>> I am not opposed to promoting those things; I just don't think it
>> belongs in the beta announcement.
>
> Fair enough.
>
> What would you suggest as an alternative? I exclusively speak to
> practitioners. The people doing the lifting after we release. A constant
> question is about tools. Heck, most of the time it isn't, "when will we
> support X", it is more, "what tool would help me do Y?"
>
> It seems that an announcement of a Beta is a perfect opportunity without
> taking away from the release itself. That said, is there something you think
> would be more appropriate? Do you think we should advocate a "toolset" or
> some such thing? I love the idea of a .Org extended toolset.

I think there's a fine line between advocating good third-party
projects and undue partisanship.  If we advocate a bunch of
Crunchy-developed tools and no 2ndQuadrant-developed tools, or visca
versa, then people at the other company may not like that very much.
Never mind what might be done by EnterpriseDB, Dalibo, PG Experts, and
others.  If we never recommend anything, that's not good, but favoring
one company over another is not good either.  I don't know how to
strike the right balance there, but I think that's a topic for another
day.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company