Re: Backup's from standby - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Backup's from standby
Date
Re: Backup's from standby
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 1:02 AM, senthilnathan
<senthilnathan.t@gmail.com> wrote:
> What is the basic reason for restricting backup at standby
> server(pg_start_backup)?

It performs a checkpoint.

> We are doing the following steps to take backup from standby which(backups)
> might be used for standalone startups.
>
> 1.Create file system snapshot(LVM)
> 2.take the back up of data directory including wal files
> 3.Drop the file system snapshot
>
> Will there be(foresee) any issues while using these backups?

Assuming that step #2 is backing up an instantaneous snapshot, rather
than the live data directory, I think that will work.  Upon starting
up the server, it will enter recovery, but the WAL present in the data
directory at the time of the snapshot should be sufficient to reach
the minimum recovery point.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company