Re: pgsql: Update high level vacuumlazy.c comments. - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: pgsql: Update high level vacuumlazy.c comments.
Date
List pgsql-committers
On Tue, Nov 30, 2021 at 3:45 PM Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 30, 2021 at 12:20 PM Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> > +1. And that shouldn't happen often.
>
> Why shouldn't it happen often?
>
> I accept that I ought to have included a discussion link in this
> instance. But I don't see how that's related to how often I commit
> things where including a discussion link is unnecessary (per the
> general convention for these things).

Because there aren't many things that are so mechanical that there's
no reason to give people an opportunity to comment. Sure, if you're
just changing "teh" to "the" that's boring and there's nothing to talk
about. But if you're doing that every day, you should consolidate your
typo fix patches a bit so we don't clutter the commit history. If
you're making changes that people might disagree with, it's polite to
give them an opportunity to object before you commit. Even if most of
the time they don't.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com