Re: create subscription - improved warning message - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: create subscription - improved warning message
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Oct 10, 2022 at 12:41 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> I'm beginning to question the entire premise here.  That is,
> rather than tweaking this message until it's within hailing
> distance of sanity, why do we allow the no-connect case at all?

That sounds pretty nuts to me, because of the pg_dump use case if
nothing else. I don't think it's reasonable to say "oh, if you execute
this DDL on your system, it will instantaneously and automatically
begin to create outbound network connections, and there's no way to
turn that off." It ought to be possible to set up a configuration
first and then only later turn it on. And it definitely ought to be
possible, if things aren't working out, to turn it back off, too.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com