Re: PostgreSQL for VAX on NetBSD/OpenBSD - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: PostgreSQL for VAX on NetBSD/OpenBSD
Date
Re: PostgreSQL for VAX on NetBSD/OpenBSD  (David Brownlee <abs@absd.org>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 6:58 PM, Greg Stark <stark@mit.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 3:09 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> However, we don't know of anyone who has tried to do this in a very
>> long time, and are therefore considering removing the remaining
>> support for the VAX platform.  Has anyone tried to build PostgreSQL
>> for VAX lately?
>
> Actually I tried a while ago but got stuck configuring the network on
> simh so I could get all the tools. I can try again if there's interest
> but we don't necessarily need to keep a port just because there's a
> simulator for it.

That's really up to you.  I'm not particularly interested in
generating interest in maintaining this port if there wouldn't
otherwise be any; I'm trying to figure out whether there is existing
interest in it.  For all I know, <whatever>BSD is shipping PostgreSQL
binaries for VAX and every other platform they support in each new
release and people are using them to get real work done.  Then again,
for all I know, it doesn't even compile on that platform, and if you
did manage to get it to compile it wouldn't fit on the disk, and if
you managed to fit it on the disk it wouldn't work because key system
calls aren't supported.  If someone is still interested in this, I'm
hoping they'll help us figure out whether it's anywhere close to
working, and maybe even contribute a buildfarm critter.  If no one
cares, then let's just rip it out and be done with it.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company