Re: Enabling Checksums - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Enabling Checksums
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 6:00 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>> We've had a few EnterpriseDB customers who have had fantastically
>> painful experiences with PostgreSQL + ZFS.  Supposedly, aligning the
>> ZFS block size to the PostgreSQL block size is supposed to make these
>> problems go away, but in my experience it does not have that effect.
>> So I think telling people who want checksums "go use ZFS" is a lot
>> like telling them "oh, I see you have a hangnail, we recommend that
>> you solve that by cutting your arm off with a rusty saw".
>
> Wow, what platform are you using ZFS on?
>
> (we have a half-dozen clients on ZFS ...)

Not us, customers.  But as to platform, I have yet to run across
anyone running ZFS on anything but Solaris.  I'd be interested to hear
your experiences.   Mine rhyme with "sun a play dreaming".

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company