Re: let's not complain about harmless patch-apply failures - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: let's not complain about harmless patch-apply failures
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 12:10 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> People complain... asking them not to is unlikely to get anywhere.

It doesn't hurt to ask.

> We must encourage people to speak up if they see an improvement or a
> lack of quality. I have benefited from such comments and they are not
> often intended negatively.
>
> Every complaint is not a hard blocker and complainers can also be
> wrong, so we just need perspective.

I'm not disagreeing with any of that.  However, sending a patch with
CRLF line endings, or one that applies with minor offsets, is not a
lack of quality. Complaining about it serves no purpose.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company