Re: Release note bloat is getting out of hand - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Release note bloat is getting out of hand
Date
Re: Release note bloat is getting out of hand  (Andreas Karlsson <andreas@proxel.se>)
Re: Release note bloat is getting out of hand  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: Release note bloat is getting out of hand  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 3:11 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> The existing release notes are not conveniently searchable, for sure;
> they're not in a single file, and they don't show up on a single page
> on the Web, and I've never seen a PDF-searching tool that didn't suck.
> So I'm bemused by Robert's insistence that he wants that format to support
> searches.  As I said, I find it far more convenient to search the output
> of "git log" and/or src/tools/git_changelog --- I keep text files of those
> around for exactly that purpose.

I normally search in one of two ways.  Sometimes a grep the sgml;
other times, I go to, say,
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/release-9-4.html and then
edit the URL to take me back to 9.3, 9.2, 9.1, etc.  It's true that
'git log' is often the place to go searching for stuff, but there are
times when it's easier to find out what release introduced a feature
by looking at the release notes, and it's certainly more useful if you
want to send a link to someone who is not git-aware illustrating the
results of your search.

Well, maybe I'm the only one who is doing this and it's not worth
worrying about it just for me.  But I do it, all the same.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company