Re: question about installation - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sachin Srivastava
Subject Re: question about installation
Date
List pgsql-general

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 6:28 PM, martin soethof <martinsoethof@hotmail.com> wrote:
Hello
I have the following situation.
I used a postgres installer that can choose seperate paths for the normal postgres and the data folder.
I used this because i wanted to share a database on an external hard drive between 2 computers.
I installed it on PC #1, the normal postgres files are on my D drive, the data folder and its components are on the portable F drive..
Tomorrow i will be sitting behind PC #2, how should i install it..
If i do install it the same way, won't that overwrite the existing data folder on the F drive and thus result in loss of data or a corrupt database.
Or will postgres-installation simply notice i already have a data folder there and ask if i want to share this?
Could you please guide me through the path of how to install postgresql on the 2nd computer, so that both computers share their data in the same folder..
I used postgresql 8.4

The installer will not over-write any settings in your data folder and continue as usual. Its an option where you can give a pre-existing data folder to a new installation.

Regards,
Martin

--
Regards,