Re: Manage analytics through tag manager? - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Dave Page
Subject Re: Manage analytics through tag manager?
Date
List pgsql-www

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 1:07 PM Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 1:55 PM Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
We currently use Google Analytics for analysing traffic on the website, and have done for many years. Whilst discussing some ideas to improve the user experience with Jonathan, it became clear to me that ideally we need outbound link tracking, i.e. what link did a user click that took them away from our site. This is useful to know so we can tell, for example, what download option a user ended up choosing, which can better inform us on how to improve the layout of the download pages.

Whilst it is possible to do outbound link tracking directly in Google Analytics, it can be invasive, requiring onclick attributes on every link. It is (in theory) possible to dynamically add those using a script in the base template or similar, but I've never actually been able to get that to work when I've tried.

Instead, I'd like to suggest we change to using Google Tag Manager directly in the site in place of Analytics. Tag Manager uses a couple of similar JS snippets to Analytics so would require minimal changes to the site. However, it can then be used (amongst many other things) to enable Analytics site-wide as it is now, and to automatically send outbound link clicks to Analytics globally or for subsets of pages and target URLs with no further code changes.

Given the number of sites that completely break and fall over when one blocks GTM, I have to ask: I assume this can be done in a way that has zero impact on those who are sensible enough to block it?

I just tested on a couple of sites using it, and blocking didn't seem to affect use of the sites at all.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company