Re: [pgAdmin4][Patch] - RM 3009 - Right click to copy from data grid,optionally with headers. - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Dave Page
Subject Re: [pgAdmin4][Patch] - RM 3009 - Right click to copy from data grid,optionally with headers.
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
Hi Akshay,

On Mon, Sep 23, 2019 at 4:10 PM Akshay Joshi <akshay.joshi@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

On Mon, Sep 23, 2019 at 4:58 PM Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

On Mon, Sep 23, 2019 at 11:03 AM Khushboo Vashi <khushboo.vashi@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
Hi,

On Mon, Sep 23, 2019 at 3:16 PM Akshay Joshi <akshay.joshi@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
Hi Khushboo

Following are the review comments:
  • Copy with headers not working when we select a few rows.
I have considered this option only with the entire grid but will fix this.
So, If I select only 2 rows and also select the option Copy with header, then should the header be highlighted? I have highlighted in case of entire grid, with Copy with header option.
@Dave, please suggest.

Yes - highlight what will be copied please.

   I personally think we should not because when user select any row Header row gets highlighted automatically if "Copy with headers" is checked. Then we will have to make sure if row gets deselected then header row should not highlighted.

If we highlight the header row for a selection of all rows, then we should do the same for a subset (and if it's a subset of columns, highlight only those that are selected of course).

  • The dropdown should be disabled when the copy button is disabled.
That is not appropriate. If I have to select the Copy with header option before selecting any row, then not possible with the proposed suggestion.

I agree. No need to disable options that could be toggled at any time.

    Does it make sense when your main action button is disabled and nearby drop down is enabled, just because user can toggle them anytime? Anyways copy button gets enabled when row(s) will be selected and "Copy with headers" comes in affect when we click on Copy button.

Yes. I can change other copy related options in the Preferences panel when the copy button is disabled. I don't think is this different, except we're putting it on a menu for convenience.

  • When user select/de-select "Copy with headers" option dropdown should not be closed. It should be consistent with "Auto Commit/Rollback" or explain options.
  • Feature test "CopySelectedQueryResultsFeatureTest" failed on my machine.
  • Documentation changes are required, update the screenshot wherever applicable.
Right, I have already thought of that, but when I  checked the current version, I realised that the documentation is not up-to-date with the query-tool toolbar. I didn't find the screen-shots of the many tool-bar dropdown options. So, I would like to involve Abhilasha in this, if everybody agrees, otherwise I can just change the documentation for my patch only.

Yes, please ask Abhilasha to help ensure the docs are properly updated.

    Generally updating the documentation is the part of the patch itself unless changes are very big. Most of the time we modified the documentation and correct whatever is wrong or missing something from the docs.

Yes, but as Khushboo pointed out, we've missed some updates already. Therefore Abhilasha can help sort that out :-)

Thanks.

Thanks,
Khushboo