Re: Rough estimate of number of downloads per year/month/day? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Dave Page
Subject Re: Rough estimate of number of downloads per year/month/day?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 3:57 PM, Jonathan S. Katz
<jonathan.katz@excoventures.com> wrote:

> Heh, I didn't think this would be a simple process.
> If the site is maxing out the "free" version of Google Analytics, that means
> 10M+ impressions/hits (not page views) a month which is already saying
> something.
> There is certainly some filtering that can be done in the free version that
> would arrive at some useful metrics for everyone.
> Jonathan, what makes you think the data isn't "correct" (or being collected
> correctly)?
>

> Kris: http://support.google.com/analytics/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1070983
>
> Magnus did some rough calculations off the cuff based on some of the
> major-viewed pages within the GA token that the site uses and figured we are
> above those limits.

Hmm, well my math doesn't quite tally with Magnus'. A quick look at a
few different recent months tells me we're hitting around 3 - 3.5M
page views per month on www.postgresql.org, with archives getting just
under 1M.

We're not tracking anything other than pages though, so I'm not sure
how impressions would actually differ from page views. Or am I missing
something?

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com