Re: Downloads page - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Dave Page
Subject Re: Downloads page
Date
List pgsql-www
On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 2:42 AM, Scott Mead <scottm@openscg.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 9:36 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>>

>> On 15 Nov 2013, at 06:59, Scott Mead <scottm@openscg.com> wrote:

>>> If I'm honest, I'm not overly keen on this. The Java bundles were
>>> interesting because they contained a whole application/development
>>> stack for users to play with.
>>

>>    I see.  These are actually developer bundles more than anything.  It's
>> really the same idea as the application server bundles, it's really about
>> integrating all of the components into an unzip-able stack and a shell
>> script with a 'Go' button.  The HadoopFDW is a new component, and I hear you
>> there, it's really part of the integrated stack that gives you the ability
>> to sandbox Postgres + Hadoop quickly with no fuss.
>>

>> Surely for most users (especially existing ones) the most convenient
>> option would be a simple extension installation onto their distro of choice?
>

> You don't really see this type of integrated dev stack with the 11 or so
> components  pre-configured and ready-to-run right out of the box.  The
> purpose here is to really give an unzip and go feel that gives you all of
> the components.

From both your emails and the patch you gave, it appears that there is
only one component bundled - the HadoopFDW.

Please update your patch to note the other bundled components (and if
it's not obvious, what they do). Please keep it brief though.

>    Aside from that, this BigSQL stacks provide consistency through to the
> Mac as well.

OK. I'm not sure that makes any difference as to whether or not it
should be listed on the main download page (though it is a good thing
of course).

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com