Re: Relative security of Community repos and packages - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Dave Page
Subject Re: Relative security of Community repos and packages
Date
List pgsql-www
Hi

On Wed, Jul 28, 2021 at 10:19 PM Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
Greetings,

* Christophe Pettus (xof@thebuild.com) wrote:
> > On Jul 28, 2021, at 11:26, pbj@cmicdo.com wrote:
> > Currently involved in a discussion about security of Postgres packages from various sources.  I'm strongly advocating that we get our packages directly from PGDG.
> >
> > Would Postgres packages from Red Hat repos (and I guess we could include EDB, 2nd Quadrant, Crunchy...) be considered more secure from being hacked than those from the PGDG repos?
>
> While I have nothing bad to say about the other repo sources, every other repo (AFAIK) pulls from the community repos, so there's no reason that they would be *more* security than the community sources.  The Infra team takes build chain and hosting security very seriously, and I would say that you are as safe with the community repos as you would be with any other source.

This strikes me as a rather confusing way of saying what is going on.

I'll try to clear it up a bit:

As far as I know, everyone pulls initially from the official source
repo, as Christophe says above, which is git.postgresql.org,

That is not correct; the official source tarballs are not built from there.

Dave (also one of the sysadmin team members, as well as a packager)