Re: [BUGS] One-click installer, Windows 7 32-bit, and icacls.exe - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dave Page
Subject Re: [BUGS] One-click installer, Windows 7 32-bit, and icacls.exe
Date
List pgsql-general

On Wednesday, October 5, 2011, Craig Ringer <ringerc@ringerc.id.au> wrote:
> On 10/05/2011 03:46 AM, Dave Page wrote:
>>
>> Oh, the joys of supporting Windows :-)
>
> It's funny: for an OS with so relatively few "flavours" and versions, the number of quirks and bizarre behaviors is quite remarkable. I guess the text matrix isn't small, though:
>
> Windows
>  XP / Vista / 7 / [8]

You forgot 2003, 2003R2, 2008 and 2008R2

>    32-bit / 64-bit
>      Basic / Home / Pro or Business / Enterprise / Ultimate / Embedded

Standard, Enterprise and Datacenter for the server editions.

>        On a domain / standalone
>          Local admin account / non-admin account / UAC admin account

Domain admin.

>            [too many different antivirus products to list]
>              Service packs
>                *endless* possible group policy configurations
>
> ... so it's not too surprising to see hard-to-reproduce weirdness popping up.

That last one is one of the worst - I've seen all sorts of weird policies from government users and large companies - they can take a *lot* of figuring out. That's why we have 4 developers who work on the installers (not all the time of course, but often in busy "bursts" for a few days or more, and often in parallel, like today with 3 guys working on this issue), along with 2 QA guys when we're building releases. It's easy to think building and maintaining installers is easy - unfortunately, that can be very far from the case for a product like Postgres.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company