Re: BUG #9619: error creating plperl , plperlu language , plperl.dll error - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Dave Page
Subject Re: BUG #9619: error creating plperl , plperlu language , plperl.dll error
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 9:40 AM,  <kukinek1@gmail.com> wrote:

> Bug reference:      9619
> Logged by:          rendik
> Email address:      kukinek1@gmail.com
> PostgreSQL version: 9.3.2
> Operating system:   Windows 7 , 64 bit
>
> Binary windows postgres distributions , versions 9.2 and 9.3 , cannot load:
> plperl.dll , unknown error 126 , tested on several machines. Works only with
> Activestate perl: 5.14 . But that perl  version is OBSOLETE and no more
> downloadable from Activestate , at least not as community free version !!!
> Consequence: If you don't happen to own that very old version of Activestate
> perl, there's no way how to use plperl in Postgresql unless you compile your
> own.
> Could you please distribute your Binary Windows versions with plperl.dll
> compiled with Activestate perl 5.16 or 5.18 or even better with totally free
> Strawberry perl distributions.
> Thank you.

Hi

This is an issue we've recently become aware of following changes to
ActiveState's distribution policy and licencing. Unfortunately we
cannot simply update to newer versions of Perl/Python/TCL as that
would potentially break users installations when they're performing
minor upgrades, and we cannot redistribute ActiveState's builds at
present. Simply using Strawberry Perl doesn't help much as that solves
the issue for just one language on one platform.

We are looking into various alternatives at the moment, to find a way
forward that will retain compatibility for users. We're looking at
both technical solutions, and I've recently met with ActiveState's
senior management who are also keen to try to resolve this issue in a
way that fits in with their business requirements.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company