Re: Documentation: references to old versions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dave Page
Subject Re: Documentation: references to old versions
Date
Re: Documentation: references to old versions  (Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>)
List pgsql-hackers

Hi

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 9:14 AM, Pavan Deolasee <pavan.deolasee@gmail.com> wrote:
While reading some documentation, I noticed that we have references to
past releases. For example,
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/xfunc-c.html mentions "A
magic block is required as of PostgreSQL 8.2". Sure, this is true even
as of 9.2 or even 9.3. There are a few more such references that I
could spot with a simple grep in the doc/src/sgml directory. I wonder
if this is worth fixing. I don't know sgml enough, but if it supports
some sort of a meta-tag, then it might help to replace specific
version references with something like <CURRENT_MAJOR_RELEASE> so that
the current major version gets substituted when docs for that release
are built.

The phrasing "as of 8.2" basically means "from 8.2 onwards". Changing the version there would make the text incorrect.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company