Re: 9.2.3 crashes during archive recovery - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ants Aasma
Subject Re: 9.2.3 crashes during archive recovery
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 10:52 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> The problem is that we startup Hot Standby before we hit the min
> recovery point because that isn't recorded. For me, the thing to do is
> to make the min recovery point == end of WAL when state is
> DB_IN_PRODUCTION. That way we don't need to do any new writes and we
> don't need to risk people seeing inconsistent results if they do this.

While this solution would help solve my issue, it assumes that the
correct amount of WAL files are actually there. Currently the docs for
setting up a standby refer to "24.3.4. Recovering Using a Continuous
Archive Backup", and that step recommends emptying the contents of
pg_xlog. If this is chosen as the solution the docs should be adjusted
to recommend using pg_basebackup -x for setting up the standby. As a
related point, pointing standby setup to that section has confused at
least one of my clients. That chapter is rather scarily complicated
compared to what's usually necessary.

Ants Aasma
--
Cybertec Schönig & Schönig GmbH