Re: Guide to Posting Slow Query Questions - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Ants Aasma
Subject Re: Guide to Posting Slow Query Questions
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 7:00 PM, Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com> wrote:
> Regarding the wiki page on reporting slow queries:
> We currently recommend EXPLAIN ANALYZE over just EXPLAIN.  Should we
> recommend EXPLAIN (ANALYZE, BUFFERS) instead?  I know I very often
> wish I could see that data.  I don't think turning buffer accounting
> on adds much cost over a mere ANALYZE.

Given the amount of version 8 installs out there the recommendation
should be qualified with version >9.0. Otherwise a strong +1

> Also, an additional thing that would be nice for people to report is
> whether long running queries are CPU bound or IO bound.  Should we add
> that recommendation with links to how to do that in a couple OS, say,
> Linux and Windows.  If so, does anyone know of good links that explain
> it for those OS?

I don't have any links for OS level monitoring, but with version 9.2
track_io_timing would do the job.

Ants Aasma
--
Cybertec Schönig & Schönig GmbH