Re: Do you recommend 8.4 or 9.0 for basic usage? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From MauMau
Subject Re: Do you recommend 8.4 or 9.0 for basic usage?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Josh,

From: "Joshua Berkus" <josh@agliodbs.com>
>> Could you give me your frank opinions about which of 8.4 or 9.0 you
>> recommend to ISVs who embed PostgreSQL?
>
> So, first of all, you posted this question to the wrong list.
> pgsql-general or pgsql-admin would have been more appropriate for this
> question.

> However, at this time there have already been four update releases for
> 9.0, so you can be fairly assured that any major bugs have been fixed.
> 9.0 was definitely a higher patch release (and longer beta) than 8.4
> specifically because of streaming replication & hot standby.  Those are
> major, complex features which offer the opportunity for issues which only
> occur in multi-server configurations and are thus hard to test for.
>
> Our company has multiple ISV clients who are deploying products built on
> 9.0.X, and to date have had no special issues.
>
> As an ISV, though, you need to devise a plan whereby you can apply update
> releases to your client's machines if they are connected to the internet.
> One of the primary reasons for update releases is closing security holes,
> which means that you need to have a way to upgrade your customers.  Some
> of the biggest issues we've seen in our clients is that an inability to
> apply in-the-field updates causing customers to experience bugs which have
> long been fixed in PostgreSQL releases.

Thank you very much for offering your experience and advice, I'd like to
share your voice with my boss. And I'm sorry for posting to the wrong list.
Yes, I was torn between pgsql-hackers and pgsql-general. I didn't want to
unintentionally give misconception about 9.0 quality to general users, so I
kept the mail here in the end.

Regards,
MauMau