Re: Use a signal to trigger a memory context dump? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From MauMau
Subject Re: Use a signal to trigger a memory context dump?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
From: "Andres Freund" <andres@2ndquadrant.com>
> I wonder if it'd make sense to allow a signal to trigger a memory
> context dump? I and others more than once had the need to examine memory
> usage on production systems and using gdb isn't always realistic.

+1

It would be nice if there's a generic infrastructure on which the DBA can
get information of running backends.    I wish for a functionality to dump
info of all backends with a single operation as well as one backend at a
time, because it would be difficult to ask for users to choose a specific
backend or operate on all backends, especially on Windows.  The candidate
info are:

* memory context

* stack trace: I'd like to implement this.

* GUC settings: to know that backends are running with intended settings.

* prepared statements (= pg_prepared_statements): to know if applications
are taking advantage of prepared statements for performance.

Regards
MauMau