Re: Views, views, views: Summary of Arguments - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas F. O'Connell
Subject Re: Views, views, views: Summary of Arguments
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I'm not thinking exclusively in terms of whether they would be useful
to me, personally. In fact, I'm certain that they would be useful to
me, personally.

What I question is whether they need to be a part of the internal
development of PostgreSQL. To me, CPAN is an integral part of being
able to do Perl development effectively.

Whether or not a VPAN setup could come to seem as natural and easy
for new users to use, I don't know. Regardless, these new views are
going to need to be documented similarly so that new users are aware
of them.

And it still isn't clear (to me) how the debate over how to shape
them as included by default will resolve, so punting to an externally
maintained repository is just a suggestion as an alternative.

I think it's important to consider the perspective of both developers
and users, and the internal views clearly creates issues for the
developers.

-tfo

--
Thomas F. O'Connell